Tuesday, August 14, 2018

the first few days in mannheim

I have now been in Mannheim for two weeks, and there is so much going on I barely have time to stop and think. Summer Academy classes are well underway, and I have also spent a lot of time getting to know Mannheim and the surrounding area, and my fellow classmates from all over the world. Since this is not my first time in Germany, I did not experience too much culture shock upon arrival. I am not obviously American, so people tend to treat me with some impatience when they realize I don't speak very much German, but for the most part my interactions have been pleasant. I have been a bit overwhelmed because of how much I had to do when I first arrived, such as registering as a resident, enrolling at the university, opening a bank account, and figuring out everyday things such as where to buy food and how to use the public transit system. The trams and buses here have been a real blessing. They run often and are usually on time, and they are extremely convenient for getting around the city. I also signed up for the Nextbike system, which allows me to rent a bike for an afternoon or even just a few minutes. 
I have noticed a few things that are different about Germany which I had not noticed before. Germans are very polite, but they do not make small talk. Alcohol is extremely easy to get, as they sell even hard liquor in the grocery stores, and it is legal and socially acceptable to drink in the streets. Groceries are much cheaper here than in the U.S. But while it may be easy to buy food and drinks, other things, like buying a SIM card and opening a bank account, were much harder and required extensive proof of residence in Mannheim.
It has been really fun exploring the city with my friends, but I also have loved the excursions organized by the Summer Academy. In the past two weeks, I've been to Heidelberg twice and got to hike up a mountain and tour the old castle. Heidelberg is gorgeous and looks much more like a stereotypical German town than Mannheim. The excursions are also a great opportunity to spend time with other people in the Summer Academy. It has been really great meeting people from all over the world, and hearing how their culture differs from American culture and German culture. It is also helpful that not everyone I've met speaks English, because that requires me to practice my German. I think my German has already improved in the short time I've been here, because I've been using it so much.
My first two weeks in Mannheim have been very exciting, but also exhausting. Navigating the city and doing simple things like shopping or going to class take a lot of energy because I am in a new environment. Generally, though, the people in Mannheim are friendly and helpful, and I've been harassed on the street much less than in the U.S. I definitely count that as a win.
Heidelberg

The Bridge in Heidelberg
The Heidelberg Castle

The Schloss in Mannheim lit up rainbow for Christopher Street Day