Friday, July 20, 2018

counting down the days


Hallo! In this blog I am chronicling my semester abroad in Mannheim, Germany.
I chose to study abroad in Germany mainly because of my interest in the German language. I am a German Studies minor, and my goal is to become fluent in German. I chose Mannheim because the university’s schedule allowed me to study abroad during the fall semester, and I wanted to experience the fall months in Germany. I am somewhat familiar with German culture because I have family in Germany and have been there several times, but I have never been on my own in a foreign country, which is both daunting and exciting. I expect that Germans will be very polite and helpful, while somewhat reserved. I hope to make friends with German students but am anxious that it will be difficult since I am an outsider. My goal is to immerse myself in the language and culture as much as possible. I will make an effort to read German books, newspapers, and magazines, watch German television, and really get to know the city. I expect it will be fairly easy for me to navigate in Germany, since I have a general understanding of the language and some experience traveling abroad.
            I am unsure of what to expect when it comes to academics. I know that my classes will be a lot larger and more lecture-based than my smaller courses at Mount Holyoke. I also know that my grade will be determined by one or two exams and papers, and that I will have to do a lot of studying and learning on my own. I am excited to experience a different teaching and learning style, but I am nervous that it will be challenging to adapt to the changes and that the courses will be difficult. I am also interested to see how language learning in Germany is different than in the U.S. I have taken two years of German so far in college, and plan to continue with German classes in Mannheim. I hope to improve my German significantly, especially my conversation skills. The university environment will also be very different. My home university has a very small campus, with everything within walking distance. In Mannheim, my apartment will be across the city and require me to take the bus to and from class.
            I am nervous about leaving home and being so far from my support networks at home and at school. However, I really think I will benefit from being away from home and experiencing life in another country. I am at a point where I am unsure what my next steps will be after I return from abroad, and I’m hoping that my abroad experience will help me figure out what it is I want to do. I hope to learn a lot about myself during this semester and take the opportunity to visit other places around Germany and Europe. I am also excited to meet new people, especially those from other countries. I am glad to be leaving my small campus behind and broadening my perspectives. I will miss my family and my close friends at home, but I know that I will be able to stay in touch with them fairly easily. I’m incredibly excited for this new adventure and can’t wait to board the plane to Mannheim!